Yoga is a form of exercise suitable for adults of all ages. It is extremely beneficial for combating fatigue, stress, and pain. Yoga exercises for seniors help with core strength and balance minimizing fall-related injuries. Yoga also helps alleviate various health issues and help seniors feel young and vital. Although you may not be able to do some of the various yoga poses, here are some that can improve your wellbeing and quality of life.
Pose for Relieving Low Back Pain
This pose stretches all the muscles in your lower back area.
- Lie down with bent knees and feet on the floor.
- Bring your right thigh to your chest and hug it.
- Keep your foot flexed and straighten it along the floor.
- Make sure your pelvis and buttocks are flat on the floor.
- Relax and breathe deeply.
- Repeat on the other side.
Pose for Strengthening Mid-Back and Improving Posture
This pose improves strength and flexibility.
- Sit up straight, on the floor, near a wall, lean back, and stretch your legs out in front of you. Keep a small rolled-up towel between the wall and your back.
- Place your hands beside your hips with fingers pointing towards the toes.
- Flex your thigh muscles. Keep pressing the thighs towards the floor.
- Try and draw your groin muscles inwards.
- Flex your feet.
- Still staying upright, hold this position and breath easily for 10 seconds. (less if you cannot hold for 10)
Pose for Improving the Heart
This pose is beneficial for the heart muscle.
- Stand straight with your feet together.
- Swing your arms to the side and over your head. Keep your palms facing inward and inhale while doing so.
- Exhale and bend the knees. This pose is similar to how you look when you are about to sit on a chair.
- Hold for approximately 1 minute.
- Come back to the original position and repeat.
There are many more yoga exercises for seniors. However, remember, the yoga poses you can do depend on your age, fitness level, and physical abilities.
Yoga exercises for seniors are becoming extremely popular which is why many active adult communities feature yoga for seniors. If you are interested in obtaining the health benefits of yoga, visit ActiveAdultLiving.com® and you can find a retirement community that features yoga exercises for seniors.
Join the AAL Newsletter
Get the best content in your inbox every Monday morning. Stay up to date with the latest featured communities and updates.