Most of us tend to underestimate the importance of green leafy vegetables. As children, we battled with parents to skip the greens and as a youth, we chucked the salads and moved over to fried foods. However, when you reach your mid-life, there is no way to turn away from the greens on your plate! Most of us tend to forget that a healthy diet is a must if we wish to stay fit and healthy. Although supplements are useful in ensuring that our bodies receive some of the nutrients, we must never forget the key role a healthy diet with loads of green leafy vegetables plays in being healthy. Most Americans do not eat green leafy vegetables often. However, it is a must and should be done on a daily basis. When we sit down at a dining table, we hardly see the important veggies on the table. Broccoli, turnip greens, cabbage, and spinach are rare appearances at the modern American dining table. The greenest leafy veggie at the table today would be lettuce leaves and that too is not at all times. But did you know that green leafy veggies provide a host of nutrients and are packed with anti-aging properties?
Top 5 Green Leafy Veggies and their Health Benefits
Sometimes, it’s hard to decide which green leafy veggies provide the most nutrients. To make your job easier, we have provided you with a list of the 5 best green leaves. We hope this helps. Try to incorporate these into your meals on a regular basis and the results of radiant skins, healthy hair, and good vibes and health will be yours to enjoy.
- Broccoli – This is a nutritional wonder that some people love and others hate. Broccoli should be an essential part of your diet because it fights aging, potassium in broccoli is essential for a healthy nervous system, and also the high amounts of magnesium and calcium helps regulate blood pressure. In addition, broccoli also contains high amounts of calcium, Vitamin C, and beta-carotene.
- Kale – This is an excellent source of Vitamin A, C, and K. As veggies go, kale provides you with a healthy source of calcium, which is quite useful, especially if you are going through menopause to avoid osteoporosis. Kale also contains folate and potassium, also vital minerals.
- Turnip Greens – These green leafy veggies are extremely high in Vitamin A and K. They also contain healthy amounts of folate, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin C, potassium, and a host of other nutrients. So, you should not throw away the top, leafy part of your turnips the next time you prepare a meal.
- Spinach – Although we know that spinach is healthy, you really have no idea how healthy! If you have trouble with bowel movements, as it is packed with fiber, spinach is the green, leafy veggie you should consider. Other benefits of this wonder veggie are that it can fight cancer, especially in the prostate, contain anti-inflammatory properties and are effective in fighting age-related macular degeneration, and provides bone health. So, go ahead, including a healthy serving of spinach on your plate.
- Cabbage – This veggie too, as with other green, leafy veggies is high in Vitamin C and K and contains anti-inflammatory properties. Cabbage is also high in antioxidants. Therefore, you should eat plenty of cabbage if you are worried about diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
As we age, we tend to be more prone to all sorts of illnesses. Most of these illnesses can be avoided if our meals are healthy and we live a healthy life. This includes eating your greens and taking your vitamins and supplements. Make sure that your meals, for the day, contain at least, one green, leafy vegetable item. This way, you are on the right road to a healthy life.
A healthy life also includes the right amount of exercise and friends to stay healthy with. The best way to ensure a happy, healthy life is by considering life in an active adult community. When you are with same-aged people who are active and living healthy lives, you too are compelled to live up to the mark. These communities have their own health and fitness programs and food in the clubhouse restaurants is far from being unhealthy. So, consider a move to a senior community with an Active Lifestyle. You may also test out the experience by choosing one of the 55+ rental communities.
- Evergreens at Columbia Town Center – Columbia, MD
- Northtide Naples – Naples, FL
- Olea Nocatee – Ponte Vedra, FL
- Burr Oak Commons – Delaware, OH
- Redbud Commons – Pickerington OH
- Dogwood Commons – Centerville, OH
More senior retirement communities are available to you through our website, ActiveAdultLiving.com. You will realize that the choices are staggering and each state has so many options. The site is geared to facilitate in-depth searches, with simple search and screening of data. What’s more, all this comes absolutely free with a few keystrokes on your PC.
Join the AAL Newsletter
Get the best content in your inbox every Monday morning. Stay up to date with the latest featured communities and updates.